Duffus, Spynie & Hopeman Parish CHURCH

 

Spynie Kirk

Spynie Kirk
Spynie Kirk, by Elgin IV30 8XJ
Click here for map Take the B9012 northwards from Elgin or the
same road south from Duffus. Near Quarrywood,
 take the signposted road towards Spynie.  The
Kirk can be found on the northern side of the
road.

Spynie Kirk
was moved in 1736, stone by stone, from the site beside Spynie Cemetery where it had been built in the late 12th century to be rebuilt, in a different form, at its present site in New Spynie to the north of the Quarrelwood. One point of interest is that the lintel over the east door was installed upside down, and remains so to this day.

It is a typical old-style country kirk with box pews and a Communion pew – two pews facing inward to a narrow table between. There are two lofts to east and west and the central pulpit on the south wall.
Inside Spynie Kirk
To read the story of Spynie Kirk" by John Cruickshanks, click here.  Adobe Reader or equivalent is required for
this.

View of church from south
View of church from south
view from SW
View of church from south west
view from NE
View of church from north east
bellcott from SE
View of bellcott from south east
south doorway
South doorway
sundial on south wall
Sundial on south wall
communion table
Communion table
box pew
Box pew
pews in north aisle
Pews in north aisle
stone arch
Stone arch between nave
and north aisle
font
The font
west gallery
West gallery
 
Photographs by Tom McPherson